HDAT2 is program for test or diagnostics of ATA/ATAPI/SATA, NVMe, SSD and SCSI/USB devices.
This program cannot be run in DOS mode under Windows, only under real DOS system.
The exception is the demo version of the program.
You should make a DOS boot USB, floppy disk or CD/DVD and boot your system for it
and execute this program from that USB, floppy disk or CD-ROM.
HDAT2 program has 2 levels:
- Device testing
- main function is testing and repair (to regenerate) bad sectors for detected devices
- you get much information about detected devices
- File system testing
- read/find/check items (MBR, boot, directories, etc.) of file system FAT12/16/32
- check/remove (regenerates) bad sectors records, flags in FAT table
Known limitations for versions 5.x:
- fully implemented commands: SET MAX, SET SECURITY, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) and other
- device access with interrupt 13h, direct via ATA/AHCI ports, with ASPI drivers
- detects ATA/ATAPI/SATA/NVMe devices with on-board and add-on controllers
- detects devices on AHCI and some RAID controllers
- detects USB devices via USB ASPI driver or BIOS (if supported)
- detects SCSI hard drives via BIOS interrupt 13h or ASPI drivers
- other SCSI devices are detected via ASPI drivers only (must be loaded before);
with ASPI drivers you will get more information about SCSI devices
- test and repair device for bad sectors
- many different test-functions for hard drives
- resize ATA/SATA hard drives which supports SET MAX ADDRESS/EXT
(supports 28/48-bits LBA addressing modes)
- resize and change sector size of SCSI disks
- drive lock detection via security feature (Security Menu)
- S.M.A.R.T. functions for ATA/SATA,SCSI and NVMe drives only
- information about devices (ATA/ATAPI, BIOS interrupt 13h, ASPI, EDD)
- sector viewer for devices (also for USB, ZIP, CD-data discs)
- to access ATA/SATA CD/DVD drive you don't need any driver or MSCDEX
- enable/disable some features for direct-access devices
- Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) feature set
(you can restore a full capacity or allow/disallow some feature sets of hard drive)
- SATA/NVMe: converts between 512e logical sector size and 4Kn, if supported
Known limitations for versions 6.x/7.x:
- change SATA/RAID controller in BIOS from AHCI/RAID to IDE/ATA/legacy mode
- the SATA/RAID devices will be detected only on ports 0-3
- supports 32-bits AHCI only (this is not related to CPU type)
- AHCI Port-Multiplier is not supported
Freeware License Agreement:
Program HDAT2 is freeware.
- You are allowed to use this program on one or more machines at a time.
- You are allowed to distribute this program as long as you do it
without profit and without modifications to this license
(you may not charge a licensing fee for the program).
- You may redistribute this program included as a support tool for
your programs, as long as you notify me by e-mail.
- The software and related documentation are provided "as is",
without warranty of any kind.
- CPU 386/486 with co-processor or higher
- RAM 1 MB or more
- DOS boot system